Friday, December 21, 2007
The Friday 5
1. Pick one label that you think does describe you (race, religion, hobby, etc.).
2. Pick one label that is often put on you, that you really think is inaccurate.
3. Pick one label you wish could be put on you.
4. What is one kind of label that you think is universally wrong to use (race, gender, height)?
whateverchallenged. (i.e, vertically challenged, when short will do)
5. Labels, used intelligently, can be a convenient rhetorical shorthand for identifying how a given person will fit into (or react to) a given situation. Labels, used incorrectly, can be an excuse for dismissing the differences still inherent in the people to whom the label is applied. Discuss.