Sunday, September 16, 2007

That doesn't mean my eyes will soon be ......

There is a British pre-occupation with the weather.

I'm very distressed that everyone I meet in the office says "humph, British Summer,,,, where was it this year". Now I don't know about you, but I've not been wearing a jacket to the office since March, and I've only had frizzy hair due to misty rain twice, so that in my mind constitutes a very nice summer. My kids played outside, our holiday in a little island was idylic with heat stroke, and my garden doesn't look half bad. A wee bit of rain never killed anyone (with the exception of the biblical floods, and I'm not that sure that's true).

Today however, it is not summer, yesterday wasn't really either. Is very windy and yesterday although not freezing was definitely Autumnal. It has rained all night and my dining room patio doors have been leaking. I have a puddle.

I have just noticed a wee badge lying on the floor next to the puddle. Is a Sad Cafe Badge. Remember them? I only remember one record. Everyday hurts. I remember I bought it in Speed Records. I didn't understand the name of the shop - Speed - then? I thought it was a reflection on the turning of a turntable.... ie. 45 or 33, or 78, even the mushroom in the board above the shop didn't give me a hint. I was honestly the most innocent teenager in the world. (or stupid). Glenn worked behind the counter, and apparently he was gay. I only knew this because my worldly wise friend had an uncle who was gay and had told her gay speak so she recognised gay guys. He gave me the badge. He used to give us Promo Singles which he didn't want. We loved Glenn. I think he made us cool, because he spoke to us on friendly terms.

The records he gave us were all crap. He probably thought we were the most annoying kids in the world and hoped that if he gave us records we'd piss off out his shop!

DWNB

No comments:

Post a Comment